This month I’m thankful for:
* Oatmeal scotchies that my mother-in-law and wife lovingly made for me
* My wife and the baby inside her that is the size of a pound of coffee (fair trade kind of course)
* A youth who wrote a beautiful essay on believing in God
* Members of the church who shared their views of God’s hope in the world for a recent sermon
* Playing “Jetman” and “Scrabbulous” with friends and church members on Facebook
* Laughing till my side hurts playing MAD GAB with the High School Youth Group
* Brian McLaren’s book “Everything Must Change”
* Harper and Dylan who cuddle up together at the foot of the bed; Harper who also rubs her face on my shoe as I’m tying the laces; Dylan who also crawls into the covers to spoon with my wife because he loves her and wants to protect her.
* Being alive
* Bloggers, sojourners and preachers like Wee Blather, Middle Aged Southerner, Church For Starving Artists, The Human Animal, Yestertime and Pomomusings who inspire me with their heartfelt words about God, faith, the Bible, hope, despair, kingdom-living, love, childhood, and family.
* “Business Time” by Flight of the Conchords
* Lent–a time for reflection on how often we are faithless when God is always faithful
* Jesus’ words to Pilate in John 18:36–“My kingdom is not from this world. If my kingdom were from this world, my followers would be fighting to keep me from being handed over to the Jews (religious authorities). But as it is, my kingdom is not from here.”
* My father-in-law soon to be “Pops” is cancer-free
* A church member is done with cancer treatments and is regaining her smile and energy again
* A co-worker who is about to bring a beautiful child into the world
* The staff at the church
* A member in her 70s who told her granddaughter who is in the High School Youth Group that “I rocked” when I preached my sermon on hope.
* the courageous lives of Harriet Tubman, Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King Jr., Thurgood Marshall, Mohommaded Ali and Jackie Robinson
* The Daily Show and The Colbert Reports, subversive court jesters and fools mocking the kings and queens in their courts
* My grandparents, particularly my grandmother who is now a member of the Ladies’ Red Hat Society 🙂
* God’s grace
* Oreo ice cream