December 21. Prompt. Future Self: Imagine yourself five years from now. What advice would you give your current self for the year ahead?
(Bonus: Write a note to yourself 10 years ago. What would you tell your younger self?)
* Katie is 7-years old and still your cute and adorable “goose.” Get ready for more incredible moments like soccer games, art projects, bike rides, board games, video games, and sharing your favorite movies and books.
*You will be 40, i.e. OVER-THE-HILL. Enjoy every minute, but go easy on the T-shirts with pictures of cartoon characters, comic book heroes and rock bands. You are a more mature adult now, heh, heh.
* Watch out for robots…and save your pennies to buy some Old Glory Insurance “for when the metal ones come and get you, they will.”
* You’re developing a tiny bald spot on your head but now you have an excuse to wear ball caps more often.
* You have a new car…it’s called a mini-van. Don’t embarrass your daughter and wife by calling it a Super Daddy Swagger Wagon.
* Eat your vegetables
* Be kind and generous toward your wife. Give gratitude for your family and friends. Don’t be such a grump.
* Keep writing, preaching, teaching and playing. It keeps you sane.
* Try not to over-react and be so judgmental of others.
* Continue collecting comic books and loving fun adventure/sci-fi/superhero stories; they keep you a kid at heart.
* You still love being an associate pastor for youth and mission & outreach.
* Don’t be mad at your dog Scoop (Katie’s name for him), he didn’t mean to eat your new tennis shoes; they just happened to be sitting next to the plastic chew toys stuffed with peanut butter.
* “You can’t always get what you want, but you find sometime that you get what you need,” The Rolling Stones
* Keep advocating for the rights of the oppressed and for God’s peaceful and loving kingdom to prevail.
* Lay off the sweets. I like my flat abs and nice pearly whites.
*There are still good folks and good things being done in the world, but still a lot of idiots saying moronic things on TV and the Internet. Don’t fret because nobody is listening to them and life is still moving on.
* Glen Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Pat Robertson, Sarah Palin, the Hof and the cast of the Jersey Shore were all on the same charter bus when it careened off the road and into…Nahhh, just kidding. They’re still around. But Glen is actually a woman named Glenda and dating Rachel Maddow…Kidding, kidding. Nothing has changed, but no one’s getting as worked up over what they say anymore.
* Visit Birmingham to see friends from your childhood and youth.
*Laugh and love. Laugh and love. Laugh and love.