On Thanksgiving a year ago, I read an article on the coolest caring organization on the web, Cool People Care (www.coolpeoplecare.org), that suggested taking 5 minutes to make a list of thanks for the holiday. And CPC encouraged readers to even go beyond Thanksgiving and make a list of thanks every month. I decided to accept the challenge and for a year, I’ve made a list every month of the things I’m thankful for in those four (and sometimes five) precious weeks.
It’s become a good spiritual practice and consistent reminder of the goodness in life, the goodness that comes from God.
On this day I’d like to give thanks to God for:
* My grandfather who is reading stories to Katie as she sits contently in his lap, wiggling her fingers and toes and smacking her lips.
* My grandmother who is making silly faces at Katie and taking pictures of her and her grandfather.
* My wife Elizabeth who is the best mother and wife in the world. It’s not easy taking care of two kids, especially when one of them is over 30. 🙂
* My mom and her husband John, my brother Ben and his wife Rachel, Pops and Dee-Maw (Elizabeth’s dad and stepmom), Nanna (Elizabeth’s mom), Nanna-Nanna and Gramps-Gramps (Elizabeth’s grandparents) and many more family members and friends.
* A day of mission work in New Orleans as part of the Presbyterian Youth Workers Association Conference.
* Turkey, dark meat and GBC (Green bean casserole)
* The congregation, staff and youth of Pleasant Hill Presbyterian Church.
* Harper cat and Dylan cat
* A new home
* Prayers from others for a father figure, family member and mentor who is battling cancer with all his might.